● 10+ years of interdisciplinary product and managing experience, transforming traditional businesses with frontier digital technologies
● Ex hegdefund portfolio manager, focused on healthcare, TMT, and consumer
● MSc Accounting & Finance, The London School of Economics
Douglas McCloskey, Ph.D.
● Systems biologist experienced in developing automated Big Omics Data generation and analysis workflows
● Group leader, Center for Biosustainability (CfB) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
● Ph.D., Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego in the Bernhard Ø. Palsson lab
● Recipient of the Siebel Scholar – awarded annually for academic excellence and demonstrated leadership to 93 top students from the world‘s leading graduate schools
● Publication H-index of 21
Dimitris Christodoulou, Ph.D.
Co-founder/Chief Strategy Officer
● Strategist & computational biologist with experience in data analytics, multi-omics integration & simulation
● Ex-Senior Consultant at Deloitte Consulting (Zurich), led the design and implementation of business and technology strategies as well as data solutions for global MNCs
● Visiting Scholar in Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School
● Ph.D. & Post-Doc, Computational Biology, ETH Zurich
● Published multiple top tier publications (i.e. Nature, Cell Systems, iScience)
Xiaoqiang Hou, Ph.D.
Co-founder/Chief Operating Officer
● Deputy Secretary-General of Internet Hospital Association
● 20 years experience in research management, and clinical hospital management
● Research background in tumor and rare diseases, pathogenic mechanisms and vaccines
● Presided over a number of National Key Research Projects
● Ph.D. in Virology, Jilin University
Haihong Liu, M.D.
Technical Director of Clinical Laboratory
● Ex-Medical Laboratory Specialist of General Hospital of Beijing Military Region
● Genetic Metabolic Disease Laboratory Director of Bayi Children's Hospital
● Specialized in molecular biology and immunology diagnosis
● Evaluation expert of Beijing natural science foundation
● M.D. in preventive medicine, Academy of Military Medical Sciences
Wei Ye, Ph.D.
VP Scientific Affairs
● Head of Bioinformatics Platform, Bio-Med Big Data Center, Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, CAS, lead efforts of building NODE (National Omics Data Encylopedia)
● 10 years experience in multi-omics bioinformatics analysis
● Director of Bioinformatics, Shanghai Tissue Bank Co. Ltd.
● Project Assistant at Roche pRED China
● Ph.D. in Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University
Atefeh Kazeroonian, Ph.D.
Computational Modelling Director
● Computational biologist, experienced in mechanistic modelling and omics data integration with a focus on the immune system
● Group leader in computational biology and T cell immunology, Institute of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Technical University of Munich
● Ph.D., Computational Biology, Helmholtz Center in Munich in the Fabian Theis lab
● Visiting scholar, University of California, San Francisco
● Published multiple top tier publications (i.e. Nature Immunology, PNAS, Bioinformatics)
关注 AliveX 微信公众号
Robin Chan, Ph.D.
VP of Strategic Partnerships
● 10+ years of experience in research and life science industry
● Founding director of Lipidomics Core Laboratory, Columbia University
● Assistant Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology, Lipid Metabolism and Neurodegenerative Diseases, Columbia University
● U.C. Berkeley Skydeck BioChina Fund partner
● PhD, Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, in the Lab of Markus R. Wenk; MBA, Columbia Business School
● Published 35+ top-tier publications (i.e. Nature, Nat Commun., Nat Neurosci., Cell Host Microbe), received research grants from National Institute of Health (NIH) and other non-profit research foundations
Chunjian Huang, Ph.D.
VP of Immunology
● 20+ years international experience in immunology-focused research institutes and biotechnology companies (e.g. cancer immunotherapy, autoimmunity, asthma and inflammation)
● Served as Director at Department of Oncology and Immunology, WuXi AppTec. Led R&D progress that enabled the development of new modalities and was involved in multiple successful IND applications
● Served as Principal Investigator at Innovent Biologics. Led team for first-in-class drug target discovery and successfully completed the POC of one FIC target within one year
● PostDoc, Cleveland Clinic (Department of Cancer Biology); Ph.D. in Immunology, Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences; B.Sc. in Biology, Fudan University
Wei Ye, Ph.D.
Co-founder/SVP of Technology Operations
● 10+ years experience in bioinformatics research institutes and pharmaceutical companies (focus on NGS, multi-omics data analysis, CADD)
● Served as Director of the Bioinformatics Platform, Shanghai Academy of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Led multiple national omics database setup and data analysis programs
● Served at the Roche R&D Center Bioinformatics and worked on several drug discovery projects
● Ph.D. in Biology (Bioinformatics), Shanghai Jiaotong University
● Published 20+ SCI papers, including 8 first-authored papers, with 500+ citations
February 22, 2022
In February 2022, Dr. Robin Barry Chan, AliveX Biotech VP of Strategic Partnerships, published 2 articles on top journals of neuroimmunology, which are jointly collaborated with prestigious academic team and scholars from Chinese top universities. Dr. Robin Chan has 10+ years of experience in research of lipid metabolism and neurodegenerative disease with focus on pathology, cell biology, etc. He was the founding director of Lipidomics Core Laboratory, Columbia University, and has published 38+ articles on top-tier publications (i.e. Nature, Nat Neurosci.).
The studies look into two distinct phenomena associated with PD pathogenesis. The one published on the Journal of Neuroinflammation investigated the mechanism of peripheral monocytes hyperactivation during Parkinson's disease (PD) pathogenesis and describes the interaction of α-syn containing red blood cells, endocytosis, and LRRK2 in this process. It provides a novel perspective for peripheral immune dysregulation seen in PD patients. The other study published on GLIA provided insight into how Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) disruption occurs in PD pathogenesis, and the central role played by astrocytes in this process. A key finding from the work was that exposure to toxic oligomeric α-syn resulted in astrocyte activation, which responded by increasing production and release of VEGFA and NO, both of which cause the degradation of BBB integrity. These results suggest that the VEGFA and NO signaling pathways are potentially attractive therapeutic targets for BBB protection in PD.
PD is a disease with a single common clinical presentation but multiple pathogenic pathways, any one of which (or in combination) may be relevant for a particular patient, i.e. diseases within a disease. This implies that to successfully treat PD patients, pathways which are driving the disease in individual patients need to be identified. To do this, highly accurate biomarkers are needed to identify these mechanisms in patients, so as to aid clinical decisions that match patients with precise drugs with the right mechanism of action.
Previous research on PD has established that there is a strong link between chronic activation of the immune system that can stimulate neuroinflammation and thereby promote PD pathogenesis. Add to it that findings from the two studies above have put an empahsis on the link between PD and the immune system dysfunction and shown significant translational potential that could facilitate deeper understanding of scientists towards the underlying pathogenesis of neurological diseases. At AliveX, the team are now working with clinical partners to use a multi-omics and AI-driven computational approach to discover new blood biomarkers in PD patients, which can be used to provide an early and accurate diagnosis of patients, thus enabling precision treatment with a higher success potential.